At Carolinas Center for Plastic Surgery in North Carolina, we help patients gain confidence — and love every part of their body. Many women have an interest in breast enhancement, and we offer several procedures at our clinic, such as breast augmentation.
The differences between various breast cosmetic surgeries can be confusing for many. Read below to learn about the key differences between a breast augmentation and a breast lift, including when each procedure may be beneficial.
Breast Augmentation vs. Breast Lift at Carolinas Center for Plastic Surgery
What’s the difference?
A breast augmentation is one of the most commonly performed cosmetic surgery procedures. It increases your cup size by placing implants into your breasts.
A breast lift is a procedure in which breasts are moved to a higher position on a woman’s chest without altering the size.
Which is right for me?
That depends on your hopes for the outcome. While a breast lift can sometimes provide additional cleavage due to new positioning of the breasts, it is not always the case. And while a breast augmentation will change the shape of your breasts, it may not result in the positioning you desire.
If you want larger breasts, your best bet is a breast augmentation. If you’d like to reposition drooping or sagging breasts, or reposition your nipple, a breast lift may be the procedure best suited for you. It is also possible to get both procedures at once.
How does recovery differ?
Following a breast augmentation:
- Expect to abstain from normal activities for one week
- Most patients can return to work 5-7 days after procedure
- Return to normal exercise 3-4 weeks post surgery
- Scars will begin to fade after a month (can take up to 6 months)
Following a breast lift:
- Resume normal activities after 10-14 days
- Light activities, like work or driving, when you are comfortable and off pain medication
- Exercise starting 3 weeks after surgery
- Scarring begins to fade after a month
- Scarring will likely remain more with a breast lift than a breast augmentation
If you have further questions or want to schedule a consult for a breast lift or breast augmentation, contact Dr. Peter Klainer in Morehead City or Jacksonville, North Carolina. You can easily request an appointment online, or reach out to our staff at (252) 222-5888 for more information.